- Adopt one of five different lifestyles, perfecting your skills in military strategy or kingdom management.
- Character traits guide your actions and affect outcomes. Characters that act against their nature develop stress that could bring a new host of troubles.
- Raise your heirs to be worthy successors, training them yourself, or giving them as ward to a trusted friend or ally. Unworthy heirs are risky, unless you can find a way to get rid of them - legally or otherwise.
- Choose to use fear as a weapon, using your dreadful reputation to intimidate vassals and family.
- Supplement your royal levies with professional infantry, cavalry, and siege weapons, as well as exotic regional units.
- Research new technologies to increase the wealth and military might of your realm.
- Hire mercenaries and Holy Orders for your major wars.
- Spy on your court to discover plots against your dynasty and your rule.
- Find allies in the courts of rivals you are targeting for schemes.
- Seduce other characters for love or political power.
- Do favors for your subjects so they will owe you loyalty - or support for your plots against your enemies.